Top 5 activities in the Vallée de Joux
For the first time, we went to the Jura, to the Vallée de Joux. Located in the Canton of Vaud, we spent 2 nights there. It is a quiet and peaceful destination, the landscapes are magnificent. This is one of the major assets of the Vallée de Joux, which is only 1 hour away from Lausanne and Geneva.
We were not lucky with the weather during our stay, but we could see the potential of the place thanks to its numerous activities. We will describe our top 5 activities in the Vallée de Joux.
1. Skating on the frozen lake
Depending on the period, and especially on the temperature, the lake of Joux turns into a huge ice rink. It is the largest lake in the Jura Mountains, so you can imagine the size of the playground! Skating on the Lac de Joux is an activity accessible to all. It is also possible to go for a walk. It is a real event in the region and many stands held by locals are present around the lake.
Voir cette publication sur Instagram
2. Gourmet snowshoe hike with tasting of local products
This is one of the activities in the Vallée de Joux that seduced us the most during our Week-long stay in the Canton of Vaud. The one hour hike between the fir trees to get to a refuge was superb. Our guide, Laurent, lit a fire for us and prepared an excellent dinner using local products. It was excellent and we really felt isolated, cut off from the world, for an evening. The descent is a little faster and allows us to digest the dinner.
Practical information for the snowshoe hike
- Reservation: +41 21 845 17 76 or at [email protected]
- From 4 people, 47€ per person with wine and local products
- Laurent offers the same formula with a fondue tasting, 39€ per person
- The shelter in which you will dine is made available by the commune. It was shelters for the loggers in case of bad weather or for lunch break.
To see the complete itinerary of our road trip in Switzerland, go to our article!
3. Ice rink & Accrobranche at the sports center
From July to March, the sports center maintains the ice rink of the Vallée de Joux. It is open to the public when it is not reserved for field hockey competitions or by schools. In order to optimize the space and to bring an atypical activity, the ceiling of the ice rink has been transformed into an accrobranche course. Two levels of difficulty are proposed but it remains accessible to all. However, you must be over 1.30m tall and weigh less than 110kg.
Practical information for the ice rink
- Rink price: 5€ per adult (+4,50€ for skate rental)
- Price of the tree climbing: 14€ per person
- Tree climbing hours: 2pm to 5pm depending on the day of opening
- Entrance to the “accro’Indoor” course gives free access to the ice rink
- Ask at the sports center: +41 (0)21 845 17 76
4. Lunch on the mountain pasture – Chalet du Mollendruz
Are you looking for a gourmet activity for your stay in the Vallée de Joux? For those who love walking, snowshoeing or cross-country skiing, we recommend a walk on the Mollendruz pass. The view of Lake Geneva and the Alps is breathtaking.
There are different itineraries, depending on your motivation. For our part, we parked at the parking lot located just before the pass. You will find it thanks to the signs “Chatel” and “buvette d’alpage”. You will then be 10/15 minutes away from the Chalet du Mollendruz. It is one of the oldest alpine pasture refreshment stands in the region. The place is still in its original state. We highly recommend the tomato fondue, but it seems that the vacherin au four is their specialty.
Practical information for lunch at the alp
- Reservation more than advised: +41 (0)21 864 30 27
- Open Tuesday to Sunday from November to March
5. Wellness in the Vallée de Joux
In addition to the sauna and the hammam, the place has a magnificent outdoor jacuzzi with a constant temperature of 37 degrees. We were able to enjoy the wellness area under the snow, the setting was magical! To push the relaxation even further, a whole range of massages is offered. Sports enthusiasts will also find a fully equipped fitness room.
Practical information for the Wellness area in the Vallée de Joux
- Reception: +41 (0)21 845 17 76
- Entrance fee: 21€
- Forbidden to -16 years old except on Wednesday afternoons and Sundays for the jacuzzi
We hope you will find your happiness in all these activities in the Vallée de Joux. This valley is ideal to recharge your batteries and enjoy nature. In summer, the lake of Joux is also very pleasant and there are many things to do. Last but not least, if you are looking for a place to have lunch or dinner in the Vallée de Joux, we recommend the restaurant l’Aurore, the welcome and the food are excellent.
For more articles on Switzerland, in summer or in winter, find our travel guides here !
This article is the result of a collaboration with the Tourist Office of the Canton of Vaud, which does not change our opinions and experiences shared with you!