Weekend in Brussels: what to do
We visited Brussels for a sunny weekend. The Belgian capital is often overlooked, yet it has a lot to offer! So we’ll give you some ideas on what to do in Brussels.
How long to visit Brussels?
The advantage of this city is that it can be visited entirely on foot. The center is rather small, so 2 or 3 days are enough to discover Brussels. For a weekend, it’s perfect!
✈️ If you’re coming to Brussels by plane, compare the best transport offers with Skyscanner :
When to go to Brussels?
To be honest with you, we had already been to Brussels once, five years ago. We went there during a winter weekend… it rained for 2 days so we didn’t enjoy the city too much.
So we advise you to visit Brussels during spring or summer, in order to fully appreciate its weekend!
What to do in Brussels for the weekend?
What to do in Brussels for the weekend?
DAY 1: visit of the historical center of Brussels
- The Royal Palace & its garden
- The Mont des Arts
- Manneken Pis
- Saint-Hubert Galleries
- Grand Place
- Go to the Dandoy store near the Grand Place to try their Speculo cookies. Not only are they good, but they have a sense of decoration on their outlets!
- Eating French fries at Café Georgette. Many Brussels residents also recommended the fries at “Chez Antoine” on Place Jourdan.
- Have a drink at the Halles de Saint Géry
- Admire the sunset at the Mont des Arts or Place Poelaert
? Here is the Google Maps itinerary of Day 1 to do on foot for those who are lazy to do it.?
Afterwards, we recommend you to go and rest because the program we propose to you tonight requires to be a little bit in shape.
Partying in Brussels: the nightlife
We can confirm it: Belgians know how to party! We wouldn’t have guessed it, but the nightlife in Brussels is worth a try.
Where to go out in Brussels?
It depends on the atmosphere you are looking for, here are some addresses to spend a good evening:
- For a before dinner on the terrace: Kumiko Izayaka. Before getting serious, we sat on the terrace of this restaurant/bar. They serve beers, wine and all kind of cocktails. The outside is on the courtyard with a little background music, so it’s a cool place to chat in the early evening!
- For an unusual show: Chez Maman, a bar/disco that offers a Drag Queen show every 30 minutes. The atmosphere is absolutely brilliant, we spent a great evening there! To note: at the base, it is reserved for the men. If you arrive in group with more women than men, the bouncer will surely not let you enter. We were 2 guys and 1 girl and it passed!
- To dance on tables: the Raven. We had to test it on Saturday evening but, not having survived the evening of the day before, we passed our turn haha
- Other suggestions: Madame Moustache (club), Ginette Bar, at the Bar des Amis. Thanks to my friend of school Ulrich, Brussels of adoption for all these addresses <3
DAY 2 : visit of Brussels
- Discover the Sablons district
- Brunch at the Fabrique en ville, at the Avocado Show or at Crème
- Take a break in the Bois de la Cambre
- Go to Chalet Robinson. What a charming and rare place in the heart of a capital city! If you can also go there at night, I hear the garlands make the place super pretty.
- Have a drink on the O2 terrace and enjoy the pool
- Bonus: go to the Laeken castle and walk around its big park.
? For beer lovers there is a very nice activity to try different addresses: beer tasting.
? Other suggestions: if you like museums, you will find in Brussels the chocolate museum, the comic book museum and many others! Also, if you are interested in comics, there is a route to follow in the city center with comics on the facades. Find the route here
Voir cette publication sur Instagram
Finally, let’s talk little, let’s talk good food. In Belgium, we eat very (too) well!
We didn’t put everything for you so you don’t stuff yourself… but if you feel like it, there are other Belgian specialties to discover. The waffle of course, I count on the Belgians who read us to tell us in comments the best place in Brussels to eat a good waffle! You also have the chocolate, the carbonade and thousands of beers.
? For the donut lovers, we tested the Coco Donuts. Our opinion: the reception is not crazy but the decoration of the place is superb! The donuts are good and beautiful.
Where to sleep in Brussels?
After food, my second passion in life is sleeping. So it’s quite natural that I finish this article on an important subject: where to sleep in Brussels. After this busy schedule, you will definitely need a comfortable hotel to rest in.
If you follow us on Instagram (@amoureuxdumonde), you know that our coming to Brussels is linked to a collaboration with the Thon Hotels group. Although of Norwegian origin, you can also find quality Thon Hotels in the Belgian capital. We tested two of their establishments:
Stanhope Hotel Brussels by Thon Hotels
Our favorite. This hotel has been renovated, but it still has the charm of the old. It is perfect for a romantic getaway. The rates are reasonable for a 5 star hotel and the quality is there, as much for the room as for the restaurant! Close to the city center, we could visit Brussels on foot from the hotel. Reservation here
? The pluses: we loved the flowered terrace on courtyard, very pleasant to take its breakfast. This last one is moreover served until noon on weekends for late mornings.
Thon Hotel EU
This establishment is very modern. We appreciated the ecological aspect and the accent put on the sustainable development. On the roof, the staff cultivates a vegetable garden for the restaurant and beehives have been installed. We left with jars of honey made in Brussels, which is rather unusual!
The hotel is located in the heart of the European district of Brussels. On weekends, the traffic is a bit quieter. That’s why they have a very interesting offer: Dine, Wine and Sleep Fine. The name alone sounds good, doesn’t it? Reservation here
? 1 night booked = 1 dinner offered
The offer is awesome! The weekend, for 175€, you will benefit for 2 people: details of the offer on the official website
- Night in a Club room
- Buffet or in-room breakfast
- Dinner for 2 people at the restaurant. You can have whatever you want for dinner, as long as your bill does not exceed 175€. You can therefore treat yourself since it will not increase the 175€ package you paid for the room in the first place.
In short, the offer gives you a great dinner for free in a 4 star hotel! A tip: try the burrata which is exceptional. Many of the restaurant’s dishes are made with ingredients from the hotel’s rooftop vegetable garden.
So now you know what to do in Brussels for a weekend. We will probably go back because we loved the atmosphere. The Belgians are very hospitable. Thank you by the way to all the Brussels people who guided us during our stay, you were perfect! ❤️
Discover our article on Lyon here